Jamming with the Jammy Jellyfish

Tomorrow It’s “gonna be May” which means it’s time for my annual spring sports update and Ubuntu upgrade!

  • wrapping up their season, the Cavs exited the play-in tournament (losing to both the Nets and Hawks (who in turn were both eliminated in the next round))
  • the newly renamed Guardians have started their “inaugural” season 9-12 (delayed by the lock out, with no spring training trip for me, and even a few snow-cancelled games)
  • the Rays are the exact opposite, off to a 12-9 start and hoping to capture their third straight AL East championship
  • the Lightning clinched a playoff spot and on Monday will start their quest to a third straight Stanley Cup championship facing off against the Toronto Maple Leafs in the first round
  • after a retirement scare 🙂 Brady will once again be back with the Bucs looking to take them back to their second Super Bowl in three years
  • finally, the Browns have no first-round draft picks but of course are as usual, a constant source of quarterback controversy

Now on to the latest Ubuntu release, 22.04 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish), which came out last week.

I couldn’t upgrade right away since according to the release notes “Upgrades to 22.04 LTS are currently not enabled (due a bug with snapd and update-notifier) but will be in the next couple of days.” But then yesterday when I logged in:

New release '22.04 LTS' available.
Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.

So let’s do it! I knew there were new versions of OpenSSL (libssl3), PHP (8.1.2) and MySQL (8.0.28) coming, so I was prepared to have some problems.

At first, the only problem I had was Apache wouldn’t start until (like back during the Focal upgrade) I disabled the php8.0 plugin and enabled php8.1 (why can’t that be done automatically?). But then I found phpsysinfo wasn’t working either due to a deprecated function in PHP 8.1, so upgrading to version 3.4.1 fixed that. Next on the “not running” list was Tautulli but it turned out that it actually stopped working back in December (still not sure why). I installed the latest version via snap and then imported my existing database and config and got it working again (except lost my stats from December until now). I also had some errors (Key is stored in legacy trusted.gpg keyring) during apt update with my third-party sources (spideroak and unifi) but was able to follow the instructions here to export the keys from the old apt-key keyring and into the gpg keyring.

Finally, during the upgrade I saw a message about some changes in MRTG that involved a new version running as a daemon and removing entries from cron. I had to update my mrtg.cfg file to include “RunAsDaemon” but even then there were errors in the log (ERROR: Skipping webupdates because rateup did not return anything sensible). It looks like my existing log/stat files were incompatible so I had to clear them out and let MRTG re-create them (empty) from scratch. So I lost some historical data in the graphs, but nothing major. It took me a little while to work through this problem, though.

Whew. So while nothing major was really affected, it still took me a while to clean up post-upgrade and get everything on the server functional again. It wouldn’t be spring without something like that though! I’ll have to keep an eye on things over the next few days and make sure nothing else is broken.

See you back here in October for 22.10 Kinetic Kundu!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.