Advancing to the Artful Aardvark

closeHey, just so you know ... this post is now about 2 years old. Please keep that in mind as it very well may contain broken links and/or outdated information.

The Indians were knocked out of the ALDS by the Yankees. The Bucs are 2-4 and the Browns are 0-7. The Cavaliers are 2-1. The Lightning are 7-1. It’s October, which means a confluence of the major league sports, and a new Ubuntu release!

17.10 wraps back around to the beginning of the alphabet with Artful Aardvark (release notes).

Just like back in April, the upgrade process itself was smooth: I issued the do-release-upgrade command and the whole process took just under 15 minutes to download the new packages and execute the reconfiguration. I then re-applied my customizations to a few configuration files, rebooted the server, and was back in business:

$ lsb_release -a
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 17.10
Release: 17.10
Codename: artful

$ uname -a
Linux nucleus 4.13.0-16-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 11 18:35:14 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Well, almost back in business. I ran into quite a few post-upgrade issues this time!

  • Apache was serving up my PHP files as plain text. This turned out to be because PHP was upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1 so I needed to enable the new module with a2enmod php7.1.
  • Piwigo was throwing “PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class ‘DOMDocument’ not found” errors. This was another PHP 7.1 issue, fixed by apt-get install php7.1-xml.
  • the mount points on my NAS wouldn’t mount. I had to add vers=2.1 to the /etc/fstab entries.
  • Calibre‘s server wouldn’t run. I had to remove the --with-library parameter from /lib/systemd/system/calibre.service. The client would run in VNC either until I resized the library.png splash screen image from 1024×1024 to 256×256 (like last time)
  • Adagios wouldn’t load until I downgraded from django 1.11 to 1.8 (pip install Django==1.8)
  • Home Assistant wouldn’t start. Python was upgraded from 3.5 to 3.6 so I had to re-create the virtualenv setup.
  • Certbot (for Let’s Encrypt) wouldn’t run. Again this was due to the Python upgrade. I removed /opt/eff.org which allowed the script to re-create its virtual environment for Python and then it ran successfully.

Whew! So the post-upgrade fixes took longer than the upgrade itself, but everything’s working properly again.

Seeya in April for 18.04!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *